Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sunday in 3 (Part II)

now, you know the flow...

So, not every Sunday has to be slow going, though they may always begin that way. In Part I, I transitioned from the delicacy of classical, jazz and instrumental and worked my way into the groove. This week, I used Part I’s general flow as my blueprint for the Sunday movements, and while I have fewer selections (about 5 per movement to add to Part I’s already stellar list), feel free to add them to one giant list for your Sunday. I also started the week by celebrating Pat Martino’s birthday, and moving through a journey towards “Spain”. At the end of this list, I have a small blurb called “Context” which can wrap things up nicely inside The Perfect Playlist. Enjoy!

Part One:

Summertime (Jim Hall and Pat Metheny)
...this smooth duo’s take on the standard seems appropriate as August and the summer come to an end...I can get a few more in! And this version is perfect to open those eyes and ears.
Summer Day (Brad Mehldau/Pat Metheny)
...wow, I just even impressed myself...kept “Summer” and “Metheny”, and the beauty and all (though this one has a bit more intensity).
Variations on a Theme of Mozart (Christopher Parkening)
...My father called me once to play this over the phone for me. What can I say, we are passionate about music! For some, classical guitar can be tough to digest (I have no idea why, when for me it is some of the purest sound in the world), but it is nearly impossible not to enjoy this performance.
Mazurka in F Sharp Minor, Op. 59, No.3 (Béla Fleck & John Williams, Bela Fleck: Perpetual Motion)
...some of that guitar work in Parkening’s piece made me think of this Béla Fleck album, and the playing throughout is remarkable.
Emily (Bill Charlap, Gene Bertoncini & Sean Smith)
...this is a gorgeous arrangement. A beautiful name, a beautiful song, and Gene is just firey on that axe!

Mid-Day
Part Two:

Mellow Mood (Bob Marley)
...ahh, Bob. Should be on every Sunday...
I Will (The Beatles)
...I was reminded of this song earlier in the week when I heard a great cover version, what a song..
Please Be With Me (Duane Allman & Cowboy)
...Clapton re-recorded this one, but I love this version...beautiful song
Some Kind of Chill (Arizona)
...sounds like a George Harrison solo, on an all around great tune from these up and comers...
This Sky (Derek Trucks Band)
...it’s like a cool version of the Lion King...

Evening/Night
Part Three:

Band on the Run (Paul McCartney/Wings)
...the transition to “If I ever get out of here” is sort of how I like to take afternoon into my evening...
Cheap Sunglasses (ZZ Top)
...Sunday was a big Classic Rock day growing up, and this tune is just timeless. There are sections that could be dropped into a rave somewhere, and others that make you feel like riding a Harley. Billy Gibbons is the man, and this band needs to stay on everyone’s all time radar as they have done exceptional things in music!
Kamera (Wilco)
...love the production on this tune, so simple, but so well executed...
Say You Will (Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals)
...I love the record this is from, Lifeline...soulful, great tunes, great lyrics, and Ben is singing his butt off on this one (and always), and takes a great solo to boot!
Gulam Sabri (Garaj Mahal, Live Vol.1)
...this last tune is an indication of where this night is headed. It’s going to be more intense, and a good night for reflection, and ambition. World renowned tabla master Zakir Hussein appears with the original line-up to perform a piece that has so many pieces, emotions, and just the right energy to carry you through them. The musicianship and the live energy reaches out from your speakers/headphones/computer/whatever and punches you square in the gut. Takes the breath out of you. Fareed Haque’s sitar-guitar intro, and eventual switch to blazing electric is indicative of the entire band’s transformation through each part. Kai Eckhardt’s moments of melodic, and serene basslines are beautiful. Even in the barrage of culture-fusion, sound, and tempo, there is a beautiful harmonic and melodic component smack in the middle. Check out all the players involved, they know what they are doing!

This is some OLD SKOOL Garaj Mahal to check out!


Context:

Four on Six (Wes Montgomery, Smokin’ a the Half Note)

As one of the highlighted Tracks for Pat Martino’s birthday blog, I used the Wes Montgomery original “Four on Six” from Martino’s recent tribute album to Wes. My favorite version of this tune is a live one, from Wes’ Smokin’ at the Half Note. Pat Metheny has said, "I learned to play listening to Wes Montgomery's Smokin' at The Half Note." I started this Sunday’s set with “Summertime” performed by Metheny and Jim Hall. If you listen to Wes Montgomery’s recorded version of “Summertime”, and then his tune “Four on Six” it is clear that he wrote the tune based on the exact changes for “Summertime”. On Wes’ album Far Wes as he solos, the bass player is playing the exact bassline (different feel, and he begins on the second solo through the verse) to “Four on Six”. And so there is context to the musical steps we all take, whether we realize them or not. Summertime, Metheny, Montgomery, Martino...Four on Six. It’s what makes the playlist perfect.


To extend the journey, here is master, Bill Evans and his trio doing Summertime. A piece I have included on the Perfect Playlist has been "Waltz for Debby" by John McLaughlin, from an all-acoustic guitar tribute to Bill Evans. McLaughlin opened the door to jazz for me, and so, here is more to connect to the road to "Spain" even on a Sunday...

No comments:

Post a Comment