Friday, August 21, 2009

80’s nightmares or are Sweet Dreams made of these?

When the buzzer of the alarm clock enters your fresh auditory space, so should the song of “the morning”. Thus, the invention of mp3 player alarm clocks, 'ihomes', etc are genius. Back in the day, it was whatever song was on the biggest morning radio show, and it either kept you rocking in bed, or forced an immediate slam on the alarm (to kill whatever horrific sound startled you).

Wise men speak of the importance of sound, and how it is the first sense we recognize in life and the last as well. We come into the world first with sound, and leave the same. Such is the cycle of each day for me.

However, in the past few months, I’ve awoken startled to music already inside my head! Not the type of creative epiphany that drives me straight towards a notepad or instrument for clarity, but somehow a regurgitation of some tune I somehow ingested while growing up...80’s music. Straight UP.

What do you mean? Well, the following is an actual list of a dozen songs that I HAD to hear in the past month before doing anything in the morning...

Cursed? Maybe, but a good time when all is said and done....and quite an interesting 80’s playlist...

Something about you (Level 42)
...bass, bass, bass line..
Heart and Soul (T’Pau)
....big chorus...
I Want a New Drug (Huey Lewis)
...this tune would do well as a slow, deep, blues, but still does it like it did it in the 80’s...
Throwing It All Away (Genesis)
....Oh Phil...
Eyes Without a Face (Billy Idol)
...co-written with Idol’s guitarist, this is one of his legit songs...no snarling necessary....
Like to Get To Know You Well (Howard Jones)
...he may as well make all the lists recently...
Would I Lie To You (Eurythmics)
...yeah, I thought of “One Crazy Summer” but then how badass Annie Lennox is...
Don’t You Know What the Night Can Do (Steve Winwood)
...Winwood does everything well...
Lay Your Hands on Me (Bon Jovi)
....This day, I just woke up ready to fire up my day with those organ swelling intros!
However Do You Want Me/Back to Life (Soul II Soul)
...the a capella intro is full of anticipation, and then drops the beat...
Oh Sherrie (Steve Perry)
...sure, I may have been reliving some carpool or moment riding in a parent’s car, but this man is singing his heart out. I hope Sherrie responded well, I mean, it rhymes with Perry...
House of Pain (Van Halen, off of “1984” and possibly one of Eddie’s funkiest riffs on the outro)
...every note of “1984” is brilliant....but get to this outro...you’ll hum that just like Diamond Dave....

The era still def had some great music! Enjoy your Fried-day!

No comments:

Post a Comment