Friday, September 4, 2009

Top 5 Songs I've heard at a wedding (that wasn't mine)...

I gotta say, with all this talk about divorce rates, I do spend a considerable amount of time at weddings. All have seemed successful and thus far, most are living happily ever after. Amen.

Throughout all of my suit up to get down affairs, I have heard some interesting music, to say the least. Some choice and elegant, some laced with tradition, some that light up the dance floor, some...are just awful.

So far, here are the top 5 songs I've heard at a Wedding (that was not my wedding, because then for political reasons I'd have to name 5 from that night...see, like now...As (Stevie), 2001 (Deodato), Santana Medley (Black Magic Woman/Oye Como Va/Soul Sacrifice..not kidding), All Night Long (Lionel, not unique to the party, but it was a mover and a shaker and there was a percussion jam that led into Late in the Evening), At Last (Etta James, one of my favorite singers and closest friends sang it to us, and it was just extremely special...end longest aside ever...)

So, in honor of all I've heard, from "Hora to Horror" here it goes. And in honor of a very special friend's anniversary, I will begin with truly one of the best musical moments I can remember at a wedding...

Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash, under a tent, in front of the Tetons in Jackson Hole, WY, the ultimate hora of the west. I never saw this one coming, but man, people were splitting their pants, that I am sure of...)

And here is a really unique version of that song!



I Believe (when I fall in love) (Stevie Wonder, I have to say I did recommend this one, and while it is right for the first dance for its perfect lyrical content and poignant beauty, it also drops into a serious Stevie groove that can get everyone out on the floor...awesome first dance.)



This one is actually a 2 for 1 deal as they came nearly back to back in the same wedding...

The Man in Me (Bob Dylan, this was one of the greatest wedding moments I've witnessed. The groom, a huge Dylan fan, and non-musician, marrying a killer singer, gets on guitar, and sings his ass off. Perfect for a Dylan tune which can suit nearly anyone's voice, as the bride's brother stepped in for the guitar solo. Perfection.)



Vs.

The Bride, serenaded the entire party, but really sang to her brand new husband with all she had. It was amazing that on her wedding day she had it all together to even take the stage and room by storm. Wowza. This one was a scorcher.
I Got a Thing For You (Jim Bianco)



Wake Up (The Arcade Fire, Ok, so I wasn't actually at this wedding but do know the couple well and went to college with the groom. We have all mutual friends, most of whom were there. The couple entered the party as Mr. and Mrs. for the first time from a balcony with this tune playing. The friends and party all cheered and sang the "whoah's" in unison. Talk about energy to kick it off...)

Killer version of "Wake Up"



And last, but certainly not least...

Joy and Pain (Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock, not only was everyone singing every chorus at the top of their lungs, but soon after, the band's power went out and no one left the dance floor and the party took over by singing their way back into the chorus. Dancing, singing as one, the power came back and the band joined the party! Throwin' down.)

3 comments:

  1. nice list, tone -- and thanks for the shoutout. i winder if you actually meant, "Jackson" tho instead of Ring of Fire? Either way, I think Judd may have played both.
    Curious omission: Wading>Wonderful>Wading???

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not mean "Jackson", though that was a blast off! "Ring of Fire" was the peak of the party....

    Wonderful Tonight into Velvet Sea, back into Wonderful night with solo and dance was truly special as well - beautiful...but 5 is 5...

    ReplyDelete