Monday, September 7, 2009

In honor of labor...

In honor of this Labor Day, I have randomly selected 10 (or so..) tunes in my collection about “work” or “labor”.

Happy DAY OFF on this LABOR DAY!

We will kick it off with drama. This one goes out to a select few...you know who you are!



This one, is just one I think we can all relate to...




And now, for the TRUE BEGINNING!

Work Song (Paul Butterfield Blues Band)
...I think the labor and work theme ought to be kicked off by some blues-masters! It starts a little bit in...





The Devil’s Workday (Modest Mouse)
... I could buy myself a reason, I could sell myself a job...



Cumberland Blues (Grateful Dead)
...A mine worker’s song indeed, and aptly on Workingman’s Dead from the great American songsters. This live one starts out with "Me & My Unlce"



Working Day and Night (The Jacksons/MJ)
...MJ is everywhere (these days of course), and this one’s is a boogie classic...



The Work, Pt.1 (Prince)
...Ok, so, he is talking about a different kind of work (religious work), on the musically underrated The Rainbow Children in which Prince displays some of his craziest chops and compositional freak-outs...

*There is no video on Prince..I am not even sure I can talk about him legally..

Dirty Work (Steely Dan)
...one of the best memories I have of this song is Tony Soprano in his SUV singing along word for word. This song is obviously a classic, but all the video I found was not so "classic", but this one was!



I’ve Been Working (Van Morrison)
...this is HIGH ENERGY Van, the man...

Gotta buy this one to hear it! :)

Work (Thelonious Monk & Sonny Rollins)
...it’s called “work”, and they make it seem so easy...

Could only find "Work Song" turn the volume up!



Working on a Building (Old & In the Way)
...All-star line-up, classic tune, and heeeeeere's the master!



It’s Just Work for Me (Ry Cooder)
...this one is slinky, and you have to own it to hear it! Go get it!

And the ultimate..
Proud Mary (Ike & Tina)



HAPPY LABOR DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment